Before the 20th century, sunglasses served a more functional purpose: to shield the eyes from the harsh rays of the sun. But with the emergence of Hollywood and film, celebrities began showing people that the right pair of glasses can be as much a part of one’s outfit as a fedora or a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes.
You don’t need to be a born fashionista to find the best eyewear for you. All you need is to remember a few essentials. Take a cue from specialists in sunglasses in Dubai who share some insights on how to pick sunglasses that fit your features and personality.
1. Consider the shape of your face
The shape of the lenses can alter the way your face looks. Before you start looking for sunglasses, take note of the most distinguishable features of your face. Here are a few tips on for matching the right spectacles with the shape of your face:
- Square-shaped – Individuals who have a square-shaped face have a strong or prominent jawline. They may also have a broad forehead and a square chin. Butterfly-frames or glasses with round, oval or teardrop-shaped lenses are best suited for these features.
Why? The rounder lenses make an excellent contrast to the wearer’s face, making the features look less rigid. Oval-shaped glasses can also add contour and lengthen the face.
- Heart-shaped – Defined by a broader forehead that tapers down to the chin, the heart-shaped face requires lenses and frames that draw the attention away from the forehead. Some of the best styles include round glasses, cat-eye, and aviator styles. What these styles do is accentuate the cheekbones rather than the top of the head.
- Oval-shaped – Characterized by a narrow face with high cheekbones, this is considered the ideal when wearing glasses. Aviators and round lenses suit this shape. Other styles can work, except for teardrop lenses, as these can make the face look longer.
- Triangular – If heart-shaped faces feature a broad forehead that narrows down to the jawline, the opposite is true with triangular-shaped faces. As such, when picking glasses, the aim is to draw attention away from the chin. Classic aviators are best as they feature a brow bar that puts the emphasis more on the forehead rather than the jaw.
- Circular – For those with a round face, both the width and the length have the same or similar measurements. Aviators and teardrop lenses are best suited as they can make your face look slimmer and longer. Wayfarer styles look chunky and give your face definition.
2. Check your style of dressing
- Modern minimalist
The modern minimalist is characterized by a love for plaid shirts or tops in simple prints or patterns. These individuals love neutral colors, so you may find them wearing outfits in tan, creams, beiges, navy blues, or black. Aviators suit this style best. Buy the most stylish aviator prescription glasses here.
Pilots commonly wore aviators around the Second World War, although their popularity catapulted with movies like “Top Gun.” Although the style exuded more of a rugged, bad-ass look, Aviators have become a classic over the years. The simple thin metal frames work well with the modern minimalist look and on a range of face shapes.
- Casual preppy look
A shirt or blouse with stripes or dots coupled with denims are the hallmark signs of a casual preppy style. This clothing style is suitable for going out with friends around town, watching horse races, or even when sailing. Wayfarers work well in such scenarios.
Wayfarers feature thick plastic frames that make the shades both affordable yet durable at the same time. Buy at least two pairs, one in black or a neutral color and another in a tortoiseshell. Neutrals are a safe choice, although if you are ready to add a bit of color, the tortoiseshell can give you that.
For the more daring or fashion-forward individuals, wear sunglasses with round frames. The fashionable frames are best suited when you’re planning to go on vacation.
- Suited up
Metal aviators may give off a relaxed but rugged look, but they also fit well with more formal outfits. Women can don a pair of classic Aviators with a professional dress. Soften the look with sophisticated jewish women head scarves.
Men, on the other hand, can experiment with a variety of sunglasses. For instance, oversized black sunglasses with square-shaped lenses may look suave when paired with a gray suit and a skinny black tie. Celebrities such as Jake Gyllenhaal have shown that a Clubmaster or browline can also work with a classic black suit.
3. Ditch the other accessories
If you aim to make your sunglasses the focus of your ensemble, go completely casual. Wear a loose shirt, no-makeup makeup, and minimal to no accessories or jewelry to bring attention to your facial features and glasses. Professional model Ashleigh Austin is known to sport the no-frills look with sunglasses effortlessly.
Shopping for sunglasses online or in shops can be just as fun as buying any other element in your wardrobe. Try out these tips the next time you buy to make it easier to find a pair that suits you best.
Firas Saab is the Training Manager at Al Jaber Optical in Dubai, the leading optical and eyewear company in the UAE that offers a comprehensive range of eyewear and optical services across the board, through a wide range of modern optical products and facilities. Firas is an enthusiastic trainer with more than a decade in the retail and optical industry and has recently acquired HND in Business and Management in addition to his Optical qualifications.