A cough or tussis is a compulsory or a voluntary act that unblocks the breathing passage and throat from various foreign particles like irritants, mucous, fluids, and microbes. It is a quick dismissal of air from your lungs. Coughing can be a part of reflux or is done deliberately.
Coughing includes three phases:
- Inhalation or breathing in
- Increased pressure in lungs and throat with closed vocal cords
- A volatile liberation of air after the vocal cord opens, giving a characterized sound to cough.
Coughing can be an indication of diseases when you cough a lot. Most of the cough originates from a contagious illness like the common cold, while there are non-contagious diseases too. Torex Cough Syrup Company is widely known for its feature of relief from whooping cough, chronic cough, smokers cough, dry cough, and postoperative cough.
Causes of Short-term or Acute cough:
- When the infection is caused in the upper respiratory system, i.e. nose, pharynx or olfactory organ, it infects the throat; then it is called URTI (Upper Respiratory Tract Infection) or URI. These infections include flu, laryngitis, and the common cold.
- In the case of Lower Respiratory Tract Infection (LRTI), the lungs get affected, or the airway drops down the windpipe. It includes infections like pneumonia, bronchitis.
- Hay fever is also a type of acute cough.
Causes of Long-term or Chronic cough:
Cough that lasts for over seven to eight weeks is referred to as chronic cough. It can be caused by:
- Mucous running down to the nose from the throat, i.e. Post-nasal drip
- Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux
- Chronic bronchitis
- Medication like ACE Inhibitors to treat critical hypertension
- Other less familiar causes include lung cancer, heart failure, bronchitis, whooping cough, tuberculosis (TB), etc.
Remedy for Chronic cough:
- Antacids are medicine to control acid reflux to reduce, block, and neutralizes the production of acid.
- Bronchodilators and steroids can be used to cure asthma and chronic bronchitis. It helps you breathe easily be widening tapered air passages and reduce airway swelling.
- Antibiotics help in the treatment of pneumonia and other infections caused by bacteria.
Perspective on Chronic Cough
Your point of view depends on the reason behind your cough and the procedure to its treatment. If your cough persists over three weeks, you should consult a doctor.
Try the following steps until your cough goes away:
- Consume lots of juice and water. This fluid slender and loosens the mucus. Drink plenty of warm liquid like broth and tea to soothe your throat.
- Suck and chew a cough lozenge.
- Avoid eating within a few hours or stop overeating before going to bed at night, to prevent acid reflux.
- You may consume herbal syrups containing honey and tulsi to get relief from dry cough, wet cough, and whooping cough. Torex herbal syrups in India is famous for its ayurvedic formulation and can be consumed by children and adult both.
- You may also take a hot shower and inhale in its warm stream or use nasal irrigation to drain out the mucous, which is making you cough.
Coughs can be comfortable and annoying, but the best part is that it clears up on its own. However, if your cough continues and gets worst, even more, consult a doctor before it’s too late.